E-commerce sites play a crucial role to spread your business and make new clients everyday. In today’s fast track life, no one has enough time to visit showrooms to enquire about the products. Internet sites are the best place where they can get the required information without wasting time. Designing of these sites are hence important to keep the visitor pull towards the site. Cluttered and overloaded sites push the visitors out. Web users are impatient and need quick and easy browsing. If they do not find what they want, they will be gone in seconds.
Simple web designs are appreciated by users which help them to find the required information quickly especially if you are selling any product. Useless text, widgets or unrelated products, and unnecessary ads make the site meaningless. Keep it simple and to the point.
Simple designing doesn’t mean to remove the necessary and important information from the home page. Cover all the key points and links but arrange them in such an easy way to reduce bulky appearance and avoid a cluttered look to the site. Some of the key points you can take into account while simple but efficient designing are as follows:
1. Show only what is needed: only show what is needed to make the sale of the concerned products. This doesn’t mean that you have to hide lots of information but just make sure that you are designing in such a way that user approaches to see more information. E.g. Apple uses “Learn more” links throughout the page to bind the visitor.
2. Reduce links: If a user has to click more and more to get the information, he/she will be frustrated and will be gone. Try to minimize the use of clicks to reduce their jumps.
3. Remove unnecessary information: Do not cover unnecessary and unimportant information on the home page. Let them remove to give a pleasing effect on the landing page.
4. Reduce total number of columns: More the number of the columns less will be the space for the content which will reduce emphasis over it. Keep the minimal number of columns in the site.
5. Keep the site clean: Designing should be clean to give a pleasing effect on visit. The layout should be attractive but not bulky. Make sure that the design is aesthetically pleasing to bind your customers.
Apple is one of the best examples of minimal and simple web design. The landing page covers only simple header navigation, One product in the body of the page and only a few informational links about the featured product with images below the fold with the standard footer navigation. On clicking any product link you will the page will highlight only the clicked product and other unrelated products, ads, and clutters will be out of the scene giving a simple and easily understanding information.
Shoeguru.ca is another good example of it which presents a simple single shoe image highlighted at the centre on the homepage with only a few navigation links and nothing else. The design only presents the products which are needed by the visitor.
Take care that every word, every image has to be weighed in a design. So make the design simple and attractive but informative. Keeps the above points in mind and carry on.